XmlPullParserException upon trying to connect

When trying to connect to Wildfire I am getting the error below. I have tried every connection option and the error persists. I suppose it is a problem with Spark because I can connect using Gaim using the options “Force Old SSL” and port 5223.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: only whitespace content allowed before start tag and not \u15 (position: START_DOCUMENT seen \u15… @1:1)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.parseProlog(MXParser.java:1519)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:1395)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.next(MXParser.java:1093)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.parsePackets(PacketReader.java:371)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.access$000(PacketReader.java:43)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader$1.run(PacketReader.java:65)

Connection failed. No response from server.:

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.startup(PacketReader.java:168)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.init(XMPPConnection.java:863)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection. java:300)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.(XMPPConnection.java:221)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:604)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$400(LoginDialog.java:196)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$1.construct(LoginDialog.java:518)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:132)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am still having this problem. It doesn’'t seem to me affecting a lot of people as a google search will not bring many results. However it is driving me nuts. I have been able to connect using Gaim, Psi, and others, both on Linux and Windows machines. But Spark will never connect to my Wildfire server, always failing with the same error no matter what options I use.

Please can anyone give me any hints?

Hi Matheus,

Smack / Spark do no longer support the “Old SSL” method or port 5223 (currently one can still select it in the advanced options but it will not work). Can you connect normally using port 5222?

Sooner or later Wildfire will also stop to support port 5223.

LG

Oh well, thanks, that explains a lot! Yes, I can do a normal connection on port 5222.

But I would like to secure my connections and I don’‘t know how to add TLS support (since old SSL doesn’'t work). I have succesfully generated and imported my server certificate. What else should I do?

Hi,

Spark does not offer to force TLS, so you have to wait if a locked lock will appear after login in the lower right corner for Spark 2.x (right to your name fpr Spark 1.x). If you are also using Wildfire and you are the server administrator you can select “Required - Clients can only connect to the server using secured connections.” on http://server:9090/ssl-settings.jsp .

I did create SPARK-372 so Derek will hopefully change “Force Old SSL” to “Force TLS”.

LG

I noticed that. Everything works now. Thank you!

Can anyone tell me why the “OLD SSL METHOD” was removed from smack?

Hi,

I think SSL / port 5223 were defined within “XMPP 0.9” but are not needed by “XMPP 1.0” compliant clients and servers.

LG