powered by Jive Software

Xms java memory heap

I am wanting to increase the VM, but I can seem to get it to work. I am using windows xp x86

I went to c>program files>openfire>bin and created openfired.vmoptions.txt with the following

-Xms256m

-Xmx256m

i also tried nameing the .txt openfire-services.vmoptions

This is what I got from the set up document. Could anyone tell me what i did wrong or tell me how to change this setting Thanks

Message was edited by: jbradysr04

Message was edited by: jbradysr04

Message was edited by: jbradysr04

try taking the .txt extension off the end of the file you created, so it would be named “openfired.vmoptions” see if that helps!!

Scott

Tried that still no change to the server.

are you running it as a service or just running openfire.exe to launch it?

Running it through the launcher

the contents of the file should look like this:

-Xms256m

-Xmx256m

not:

-Xms=256m

-Xmx=256m

as per : http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/openfire/docs/latest/documentation/install- guide.html

Scott

i have tried it both ways and actualy edited it to the = because i saw another post with that syntax and i didnt want it to throw off any troubleshooting. So i did try it as xms256m and xmx256m could you do a step by step from desktop to end of what i need to do.

I really need to figure this out is there anyone who can give me a hand. I want to increase the java memory to atleast 128m. I can not get the settings to change. What are the proper steps to edit the java memory on windows xp for openfire 3.3.0

would running it as a server have any effect on it. i have tried naming the file for both setups

Custom Parameters

Advanced users may wish to pass in parameters to the Java virtual machine (VM) to customize the runtime environment of Openfire. You can do this by creating vmoptions files in the bin/ directory of your Openfire installation. For the Windows service, you’‘d create a new text file called openfire-service.vmoptions. Each parameter to the VM should be on a new line of the file. For example, to set the minimum heap size to 512 MB and max VM heap size to 1024 MB, you’'d use:

-Xms512m

-Xmx1024m

To create parameters for the normal launcher, create a file called openfired.vmoptions (since the openfire.exe launcher invokes the openfired.exe executable to actually start the server).

I have tried this and i still can not get the memory size to increase on my windows openfire server.

I have tried over and over to replicate your problem, but I cannot… If you create that file, put it into the /bin folder next to the openfire.exe, then double click and run the openfire.exe file, allow server to start, go into admin consule, then on the page that opens up with the console, about in the middle you should see xxx of xxxx used for your java memory… I can’'t even come close to figuring anything out for you… sorry… if you could somehow temporarily give me access to the system it is on, i GAURANTEE you I can get it going for you, but that might not be an option for you…

Scott

well I thank you for trying to replicate the problem. The configuration change seemed pretty straight forward and im not sure why the process is not working. I might try to reinstall the openfire server. About access I would have to talk to some people before I could set that up if at all. Are there any variables that could interrupt the process.

I take it that you gave up on this idea, since you started another thread for the same subject? I have in the last week, for shits and giggles, created new openfire servers, and adjusted the memory EVERY single time without fail… I am willing to help, but I need your cooperation… Starting another thread is unlikely to get you somewhere that you are not already… I could CREATE you a test server, zip it up for you, upload it to you, you could unzip, run it, and it WILL WORK as designed…

Let me know if I can help…

Scott

Hi,

do you see a “Text File” or a “VMOPTIONS-File” in your Explorer in the “File Type” column?

LG

Hello,

I just upgraded to OpenFire 3.3.1 using the RPM. I used the command ‘‘rpm -Uvh openfire-3.3.1-1.i386.rpm’’. Now the progam seems to be ignoring the openfire.vmoptions file. I have tried renaming the file from openfired.vmoptions to openfire.vmoptions.

Is anyone else having this problem after upgrading?

Also, I noticed that all the files in the /opt/openfire folder have changed ownership to daemon. I assume this is normal but just wanted to put that out there also.

Thank you for your help,

Troy

Troy,

Add a line like this in /etc/sysconfig/openfire

OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx512m"

daryl

Hello Daryl,

That did it! I tried adding it to the OPENFIRE_OPTS line in the openfire.sh file but that did not work either. As for the daemon user ownership, disregard my ignorance for not reading the upgrade guide.

Again, thanks a lot!

Troy

Hello,

Try this.

Edit /opt/openfire/bin/openfire.sh and find the line below:

openfire_exec_command=“exec $JAVACMD -server -Xms128m -Xmx128m $OPENFIRE_OPTS -classpath “$LOCALCLASSPATH” -jar “$OPENFIRE_LIB/startup.jar””

eval $openfire_exec_command

If Xms and Xmx configurations not exist, then add.

This works

[]´s

Max