Yahoo Gateway Beta

http://svn.jivesoftware.org/svn/repos/transports/trunk

http://www.jivesoftware.org/fisheye/viewrep/svn-org/transports/trunk (to browse via fisheye)

hi noah - i have jm 2.2.2 running on windows 2003 with pyaimt and pymsnt and was looking for a yahoo transport and saw your posting. i’‘m not well versed in java but your 1st post seemed pretty straight forward so i tought i’‘d give it a try. the download of gateway.jar was empty (0k file) however. i took a look at the stuff in your last post but i’‘m not sure what to do - is there a .jar, do i need to comiple what’‘s there, … anyway, i’‘d like to try your yahoo gateway. it looks like you have been working hard on the beta. can you give me some direction on if there’'s something i can try and what to do? thanks.

also, i was looking at yahoo-transport-2.3.2 but wasn’'t sure if i could successfully use it with jm 2.2.2. do you know if anyone has done so? thanks for any help you can provide. pete

Hi Pete,

That’'s funny that the gateway was zero bytes. Try it again.

Status as of now…I’‘m still working on the RC1, but I’'ve also been distracted with various other things so progress has been slow.

yahoo-transport-2.3.2 appears to be an internal component, so it won’‘t work with Messenger. I’'ll have to dig through their code and maybe solve some of the issues that are still left. I created a jira task TRANS-4, so you can vote/add comments and watch the status.

How large is your user base?

Noah

noah - i have about 1,400 yahoo (about 1,000 aim, 400 msn) users, and am looking at jabber as an ‘‘enterprise’’ im server.

tried again to download gateway.jar. still get 0k file. i wonder if ie6 or symantec av is getting in the way i.e., trying to ‘‘protect’’ me from downloading a .jar. i get the transports and config files ok. any ideas? thanks. pete

I’‘m behind a firewall right now and I also got the same problem. I’‘ll send you an email with a copy I have…just to remind you it’‘s beta and very buggy :(. I’'ve only tested with JBother and found that adding contacts is problamatic.

Let me know what you find and hopefully I can get it together this weekend to get the RC1 out.

Noah

noah - a couple of questions. i see in the config.properties where i set the jabber server ip and external component port (10015). i’‘m thinking i need to provide the shared secret and transport jid (yahoo.company.com) but not sure where to do that. i run the java -jar command you provided without error but am returned to the command prompt and the transport doesn’'t show up in the external components. am i missing something obvious? thanks. pete

you’‘ll need to configure the server to accept external components. There is a admin page for external components on the console. You’‘ll need to enable them, if you haven’'t already, and set the shared secret for the “yahoo” domain.

If you click on the top level “sessions” tab, you’'ll see a secondary level navigation for external components. If the gateway is started and connected to the server, it should show up there.

Noah

yahoo-transport-2.3.2 appears to be an internal

component, so it won’'t work with Messenger.

This tutorial should also work with Jive Messenger (just translate the parts about ejabberd):

http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/yahoo-transport-2

If you don’'t get the transport working in that way, then there is proably a bug in Jive Messenger.

I stand corrected…it is in fact an external component.

Thanks for pointing that out Sander

Noah

you’'ll need to configure the server to accept

external components. There is a admin page for

external components on the console. You’'ll need to

enable them, if you haven’'t already, and set the

shared secret for the “yahoo” domain.

If you click on the top level “sessions” tab, you’'ll

see a secondary level navigation for external

components. If the gateway is started and connected

to the server, it should show up there.

Noah

ah, i understand. for pyaimt, pymsnt, and pyicqt i hadn’'t defined a subdomain via the console but in the config.xml. so i added a subdomain/password for yahoo and loopbacktest (as well as defs for the other transports) and i do see yahoo now. will do some testing and post results as instructed. thanks.

I’'m having difficulties setting up the Yahoo Gateway Beta on my Jive Messenger and was hoping someone could help me out.

I’'m running Jive Messenger 2.2.0 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Jive is working great and I got AOL,MSN, and ICQ working just fine as transports.

Here is my config.properties.template file

1. XMPP Server

xmppserver=10.44.104.41

1. Typically 10015

xmppport=10015

Do I need to edit transport.properties file at all?

I’ve added yahoo as an external component with the password.

I have JDK 1.5. and when I try to enter the command it doesn’t do anything and moves to the command prompt.

Here is what I see on the screen.

C:\jive\yahoo>C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.5.0_05\bin\java -jar gateway.jar --config=co

nfig.properties --transports=transports.properties

C:\jive\yahoo>

Nothing shows up on my component sessions list either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Check the download size of the gateway.jar…someone reported that the download is 0k.

Noah

gateway.jar is 2.535,411 bytes

I was able to get a little further and got this error message:

C:\jive\yahoo>C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.5.0_05\bin\java -jar gateway.jar --transport

s=transports.properties --config=config.properties.template

Sep 28, 2005 5:28:23 PM org.jivesoftware.messenger.gateway.ExternalGateway main

SEVERE: Unable to add component. Please ensure that the domain (yahoo.10.44.104

.41) is correct and matches the secret phrase (yahoo.domain.com)

on the server. Error from server: java.net.SocketException: Software caused con

nection abort: recv failed

SEVERE: Unable to add component. Please ensure that the domain (loopback.10.44.

104.41) is correct and matches the secret phrase (secretyahoo) on the server. E

rror from server: host-unknown

INFO: Started external gateway 1.0.

Why is it setting the domain yahoo.10.44.104.41 and the password yahoo.domain.com (domain.com is in lieu of my actual domain name) and in the second instance domain loopback.10.44.104.41 and password secretyahoo

Thanks for any help Noah.

I believe that the server name needs to match your domain name (or the server that’‘s hosting it). So don’'t use the ip address, instead use the dns name.

Noah,

Thanks for the help but i’'m still having problems connecting.

My domain name is craizie.com

so my config.properties.template file is setup as:

1. XMPP Server

xmppserver=craizie.com

1. Typically 10015

xmppport=10015

my transports.properties file is as follows:

org.jivesoftware.messenger.transport.yahoo.YahooGateway:secretyahoo

org.jivesoftware.messenger.transport.loopback.LoopbackGateway:loopbacksecret

I even tried using the new gateway.jar you posted yesterday but keep getting the following error.

C:\Program Files\Jive Messenger\yahoo>java -jar gateway.jar --config=config.prop

erties.template --transports=transports.properties

Sep 29, 2005 9:59:50 AM org.jivesoftware.messenger.gateway.ExternalGateway main

SEVERE: Unable to add component. Please ensure that the domain (yahoo.craizie.com) is correct and matches the secret phrase (secretyahoo) on the

server. Error from server: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: conne

ct

Sep 29, 2005 9:59:51 AM org.jivesoftware.messenger.gateway.ExternalGateway main

SEVERE: Unable to add component. Please ensure that the domain (loopback.craizie.com) is correct and matches the secret phrase (loopbacksecret) o

n the server. Error from server: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused:

connect

Sep 29, 2005 9:59:51 AM org.jivesoftware.messenger.gateway.ExternalGateway main

INFO: Started external gateway 1.0.

I’‘ve configured the external component Yahoo exactly the same way as AIM,MSN, and ICQ. I can’‘t figure out why Yahoo won’'t connect.

Also why is it trying to bind loopback.craizie.com? I’'ve added it as an external component in Jive but why is that needed?

Thanks.

don’'t know if this will help, but i had similar messages. when i setup the python gateways (aim, msn, icq). my jm jid was company.com so the gateways were aim.company.com, msn.company.com, and icq.company.com. but the yahoo gateway setup was a little different from what i could tell in that it will be yahoo.server.company.com. so i gave my server an alias of im, i updated the python gateway config.xml files to be aim.im.company.com, etc, and changed my jm jid to be im.company.com. that is working fine for me.

so i setup a new clean copy of Jive Messenger on a test machine and configured the Jive domain the same as the machine name. Machine name jive_test and Jive domain jive_test.

I then configured the xmpp_server to jive_test in the config.properties.template file and the transport works fine.

But in my production setup the domain name is set to craizie.com and the server it runs on is a different name. If i configure the xmpp_server to craizie.com it won’'t attach .

I’‘ve configured my DNS servers to with the appropriate SRV record but can’‘t figure out why the gateway won’'t connect.

Any ideas?

Thanks Again.

Before I reply, do a search for Yahoo Gateway Release Candidate. There’'s a new version out that fixes roster issues.

As far as connecting to a server with a different name, I’'ll have to defer this question to Gato. This has to do with the way that Whack (and xmpp in general) supports external components. As part of a security machanism, it requires that the domains match…again, Gato is the expert.

I’'ve created TRANS-6 to track this issue.

Noah

I am getting the same error. I am using jre-1.5.0_02-fcs with Jive Messenger, Version: 2.2.1.

I put the gateway.jar in the plugin dir. Then I excuted this command:

java -jar gateway.jar --config=config.properties --transports=transports.properties

Here is the error I got:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/jivesoftware/messenger/gateway/ExternalGateway (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:539)…

Any ideas?

Use the absolute path java just to make sure that jre1.5.0 is being used.

Noah