Disable General Group in roster

Dear Developers!

Big thanks to you for this software! Great job.

One little question: is there any way yo disable “General” group in client’'s roster, so users can only see pre-defined groups?

And haw I can put LDAP information into user’'s vcard?

Thanks again!

Andrey.

Andrey,

One little question: is there any way yo disable

“General” group in client’'s roster, so users can only

see pre-defined groups?

No, there isn’'t a way to disable the ability for people to create their own groups. Why would you want to do this?

And haw I can put LDAP information into user’'s

vcard?

There’‘s not a way to do this at the moment – you’‘d need to edit the source. I’'ve added this feature request as JM-121.

Regards,

Matt

I actually had the same question asked of me today by my boss. One reason I can think of is that the Administrator account shows up under “buddies” by default in GAIM. It would be nice to have members not assigned to groups nor rosters be invisible… or at least have the option to set a user to invisible all the time.

Josh,

I actually had the same question asked of me today by

my boss. One reason I can think of is that the

Administrator account shows up under “buddies” by

default in GAIM. It would be nice to have members

not assigned to groups nor rosters be invisible… or

at least have the option to set a user to invisible

all the time.

Hmm, I’‘m still confused as to what feature is being asked for. I’‘m not familiar with GAIM, so perhaps that’'s part of the issue. Can you provide further details?

Thanks,

Matt

I have a setup similar to the following

Group A

-User 1

-User 2

-User 3

Group B

-User 4

-User 5

-User 6

My buddy list looks like the above except I also have another group called “Buddies” (default group for members in GAIM) that has user -Administrator (the admin for the Jive Messenger server)

Administrator was not added to my roster manually, nor is it a member of any group with global viewing rights. So it seems its defaulting to being visable by all rosters.

I guess the feature would be a way to set users to invisible, as in they wouldn’'t show up on any roster.

My buddy list looks like the above except I also have

another group called “Buddies” (default group for

members in GAIM) that has user -Administrator (the

admin for the Jive Messenger server)

Weird. I wonder why “Administrator” is getting added to the list. If GAIM lets you view XML it gets, I’'d love to see the XML that Messenger is sending for the roster.

Regards,

Matt

See my other post. XML posted.

I think I understand what is being talked about here. The “General” group for me in Psi is being populated with EVERY user / group we have setup in the active directory. This amounts to like 350 users populating the general list and a lot of group / user names that are gibberish (accounts used to start services, security accounts, etc). Long story short is we need a way to let a users roster ONLY populate with groups we make in jive–not everything that is pulled from AD via LDAP.

This the same issue you’'re talking about?

Swad,

I think I understand what is being talked about here.

The “General” group for me in Psi is being populated

d with EVERY user / group we have setup in the active

directory. This amounts to like 350 users populating

the general list and a lot of group / user names that

are gibberish (accounts used to start services,

security accounts, etc). Long story short is we need

a way to let a users roster ONLY populate with groups

we make in jive–not everything that is pulled from

AD via LDAP.

This the same issue you’'re talking about?

Did you write your own LDAP GroupProvider for Jive Messenger? We haven’'t done any code to integrate Messenger with LDAP/AD groups…

Regards,

Matt

No, just whatever is stock in jive. I can create roster groups in jive admin, and they work, but when a user logs in, they get those two groups, then a general group that I never created that shows EVERYTHING in our active directory (I did a bit of checking and it’‘s all of it… security groups, distribution groups, users, computer hostnames… if it’‘s visible in AD, it was dumped in the group General. When I go into the admin interface, everything visible in AD is visible as a user there. It just auto-populated it with our entire AD. I’'ll give more details tomorrow if you like… such as my current config file.

I have some more details that may / may not be of help to you regarding what I am witnessing. I got LDAP / AD running fine I believe. I can log in with any user in our AD and it works like a champ. The issue comes when I start creating groups in the Jive Messenger Admin Console. I create some logical groups that are more or less broken down by department. I put some names in them from the respective departments. The way we want things setup with our company is for EVERYONE to have every department listed in their roster. Since this is what we want, this is the Shared Roster Groups options we choose:

Show group in all users’’ rosters.

My assumptions is that this is supposed to make the specified group show up on anyone’'s roster, and thus all the people under that group who I put in therecorrect? Well when I make these changes, it only updates your roster with the group you are in (this is the immediate change). So I went ahead and shut down the client and restarted itsame thing. Next stepshut down the server and restart it. That almost made it work. Now I have the departments I specified with the respective users in themyay! One big problem, though. I have this new group called “General” that I never created. What is in this General group. Every last item in our active directory that was not placed in one of the departments I created in the admin console. See my above post for an idea of what some of that stuff is. For some reason this group is auto-created and auto-populated only after created shared groups.

I’‘d love to give you more details somehow… maybe in realtime if that’'s possible.

Swad,

Thanks for the additional details. Unfortunately, Gato is the one that worked on this feature and he’‘s out on vacation for the rest of the week. It’'s very possible there are some bugs in the the new “share group with everyone” feature since there was very little time to develop and test it before the final 2.1.0 release.

I’‘d recommend that you leave this question open for now and then Gato can help out as soon as he’'s back next week. If you figure out anything else about this issue, please post it in this thread.

Thanks,

Matt

I’‘ll be certain to keep this open until then–thanks for the information. I figure given the timeframe that it was added that some bugs still need to be squashed. I believe they will be in time, though. With that in mind, I’‘ll continue to hammer at this and make for certain that it’‘s not something I’‘m doing wrong. I’‘m going to try everything I can to approach this from every possible angle. I’'d love to hear from other AD users and see what they are experiencing when doing group sharing.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I want to keep this thread updated, but I’‘ll just edit this post instead of continuing to bump this thread with new posts. It appears when you use the share roster option "Show group in all users’’ rosters" that it populates the roster with the entire AD. You need to restart the Jive server after doing this for it to go into effect. “Show group in group members’’ rosters” doesn’‘t cause any issues and appears to work as intended, but of course you only see the memebers in the group you’‘re in. "Show group to members’’ rosters of these groups" seems to be entirely broke, so I have no idea what might happen there or not. It may work in place of the first option if it wasn’‘t broken by sharing rosters from each group with every other group, and possibly eliminating that General roster that is auto-generated with everything in AD that isn’'t already in a roster.

Message was edited by: Swad

Swad

I can verify this behavior in Psi and Exodus. In Exodus, the group name is “Unfiled.” My “General” or “Unfiled” group doesn’‘t contain the entire AD, only the users that aren’'t already in a shared group, which makes the “Unfiled” label a little more intuitive.

I can verify this behavior in Gaim 1.1.1 on Linux, Gossip .8 on Linux, the latest Pandion on Windows XP, and PSI 9.3 on Windows XP. I’'m using mysql as the database and am authenticating off an openldap server.

My baseDN points at my whole domain. I assume that’‘s why I get the entire AD. You are pointing at a specific container in the AD, correct JL? Can I assume that the General roster is composed of everything inside that container that you haven’'t put into a Jive group yet?

In response to both questions: yes, that’'s correct.

I’‘m also getting this unexpected/unwanted behavior. I’'m using ldap auth and a local jive group using PSI.

Steps I followed were:

1. Created a group

2. Enabled sharing group in rosters

3. Show group in all users’’ rosters

4. Added group membership

I do indeed get my shared group, but now I get the rest of my 660 users showing up in general. This is a test server, no other users have logged on besides the tech support group.

Any clues?

Rob

Swad,

Thanks for the additional details. Unfortunately,

Gato is the one that worked on this feature and he’'s

out on vacation for the rest of the week. It’'s very

possible there are some bugs in the the new "share

group with everyone" feature since there was very

little time to develop and test it before the final

2.1.0 release.

I’'d recommend that you leave this question open for

now and then Gato can help out as soon as he’'s back

next week. If you figure out anything else about this

issue, please post it in this thread.

Thanks,

Matt

It is now next week and I just want to bring this post back to the main page as this issue is our main hold-up in further testing of JM (and it seems others would like to see this General group be tamed when doing LDAP stuff). Any new word on this?

Hey all,

Today I fixed all reported problems with shared groups as well as some problems I found myself. Moreover, I also completed the initial shared group functionality. So you can use tomorrow’'s nightly build and let me know if you are still having problems with this functionality.

FYI, the issues for these problems are: JM-141, JM-142 and JM-143.

Enjoy,

– Gato