Few feature requests

Hello

First off… Good work… I think it’'s way awesome that you guys did this…

Next some much needed features…

Profiles - Make seperate user settings possible and ask for login profile upon startup

Hostname override - Allow user to put in specific hostname as well as server domain… Plus it doesn’'t seem to be using the “port” field in the advanced setup

just a thought, maybe we need a separate thread only for Feature Requests? So it would be easier to search/watch for developers and for requesters. Maybe thread’'s starter can even edit first posting every time adding every new request to the first post. Well, there is JIRA for that of course. But what percent of Forum guests really watch it?

BTW, how do i get to JIRA now without finding link to some issue in forum? No Bugs/Issue link on the page.

so, i’'ve decided to place mine issues here too:

1)cosmetic: When closing Spark window for the first time it shows a warning popup, the Spark logo is not fitting and looks not pretty

2)I think that Launch at startup should be disabled by default, or you should ask about enabling it in installer.

3)Need a button in chat window for selecting emoticons

4)Group nesting. Well, we are using it with Exodus, though now i’'m in doubts if we really need this. Users cant collapse main group cause this will hide all nested ones. But this is a cool feature though.

5)if you are going to implement Auto Reconnect you should check why Spark is hanging while Authenticating sometimes. I have tried to launch JM and Spark after a second. So JM didnt manage to start completely and Spark hanged with Authenticating message. Exodus would reconnect and eventually connect when server would be fully available.

6)Resource field in Admin Console>Sessions states Jive. Maybe it should state Spark instead?

7)Need different icons for Free for chat and Ext.Away. Ext.Away especially. Cause this icon shows that user is absent for a long time and not just not active for 5 min.

that’'s all for now

Hi sherman,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I would agree that both of those are issues that would need to be resolved.

Profiles - Make seperate user settings possible and ask for login profile upon startup.

has been filed to have this fixed.

Hostname override - Allow user to put in specific hostname as well as server domain… Plus it doesn’'t seem to be using the “port” field in the advanced setup

has been filed to have this fixed.

Cheers.

Hi Wroot,

So a couple of the issues you specified have been filed. We are still going over a couple of the others before determining a timeline.

When closing Spark window for the first time it shows a warning popup, the Spark logo is not fitting and looks not pretty.

filed to have this fixed.

Resource field in Admin Console>Sessions states Jive. Maybe it should state Spark instead.

filed to have this fixed.

7)Need different icons for Free for chat and

Ext.Away. Ext.Away especially. Cause this icon shows

that user is absent for a long time and not just not

active for 5 min.

Ok. Have noticed a “Extended Away” string near Contact in Roster. This will do

First off, good job on a first release

Feature I would like to see

Windows - Have the ability to separate into different windows for each chat instead of tab mode

Messages - Have the ability to have a message history

jsherman,

Hostname override - Allow user to put in specific hostname as well as server domain.

I totally agree that is needed for a lot of users. I have filed SPARK-77 to fix this issue.

Windows - Have the ability to separate into different

windows for each chat instead of tab mode

Havent check this by myself, but there should be a way to turn off tabs of course. Dont like tabs when speaking about IM. Wonder if multi window system would do a biger pressure on system resources?

Havent check this by myself, but there should be a

way to turn off tabs of course. Dont like tabs when

speaking about IM.

I definitely think you should give them a chance. We did a lot of work to create a tab system that actually works. Still, I’‘m sure we’'ll have a preference to turn off the tabs in a future release.

Wonder if multi window system

would do a biger pressure on system resources?

Nope, if there’‘s any increase in system resource usage, I’'d imagine that it would be quite minor.

Regards,

Matt

Hi,

I tested Spark and I like it! Good work!

Some hints: It should be possible to invite more than one user at the roster window

. Currently you can choose only one at once.

Further I think the memory load is to big (about 50 MB). This is more than the firefox and Outlook

Some hints: It should be possible to invite more than

one user at the roster window

. Currently you can choose only one at once.

agreed. And even inviting of whole group could be implemented.

Further I think the memory load is to big (about 50

MB). This is more than the firefox and Outlook

Yes, comparing to Exodus it takes too much. I hope this will be optimized a little in future.

I definitely think you should give them a chance. We

did a lot of work to create a tab system that

actually works.

I’‘m testing at home and have only 2 users (Exodus and Spark). Havent yet installed any other client to test tabs in Spark. I do like tabs in Firefox, but not in IM. I have tried it with Miranda and Gaim. Just dont fit me. And my IT boss said it’'s better to have IM with separate chat windows than tabbed in our deployment (IE addict:)). Of course we can propose our users to choose what design they like the most

some more thoughts:

• Option to turn off spelling. It doesnt spell lithuanian anyway

• Is it possible to put user’‘s (from DB) Name into Profile’‘s First and Last Name’‘s fields if this fields are empty. We are creating our users via Admin Console. And roster does show names and not usernames. But user logged in see username and not name in top of roster. That’'s ok if that cant be done, though it could automate the process a little. But when i do fill names in Profile it still show my username and not the name in chat window.

• time stamp before every message in chat window

Further I think the memory load is to big (about

MB). This is more than the firefox and Outlook

Yes, comparing to Exodus it takes too much. I hope

this will be optimized a little in future.

My Firefox takes more than 50MB but i can live with that. But, Sparks is running fine at home with a lot of MHz and RAM. At work i must survive with Celeron, 256MB of RAM WinXP and lots of other stuff on it. And we still have a lot of similar computers, so java apps always be a PITA for us.

Hi ifao,

It should be possible to invite more than one user at the roster window.

You can already invite an entire group or just shift click on all numerous roster items to select multiple users, then right click to invite to conference.

Further I think the memory load is to big (about 50 MB)

Yeah, we will be working on optimizing this in the future.

wroot,

You can enable this in preferences :).

Is it possible to put user’‘s (from DB) Name into Profile’‘s First and Last Name’'s fields if this fields are empty.

I was actually considering taking the profile information and making a vCard (which Spark uses) by default. That way, information such as first name, last name and email are automatically configured.

wroot,

You can enable this in preferences .

oops Is it possible to turn on 24hour time format?

Is it possible to put user’'s (from DB) Name into

Profile’‘s First and Last Name’'s fields if this fields

are empty.

I was actually considering taking the profile

information and making a vCard (which Spark uses) by

default. That way, information such as first name,

last name and email are automatically configured.

Not sure i get it I was asking if Spark can use Name field (filled while creating user in Admin Console) automaticly if vCard fields are blank.

oops Is it possible to turn on 24hour time

format?

I filed an issue on this request already, actually.

Not sure i get it I was asking if Spark can use

Name field (filled while creating user in Admin

Console) automaticly if vCard fields are blank.

That’'s not currently possible because Spark has no way of accessing that information in Jive Messenger. What we should do is unify the concept of profiles in Jive Messenger so that the name that people supply is available as vcard data.

Regards,

Matt