Logging into talk.google.com

Hey folks. I’‘m new to Smack and jabber programming in general. I’'m trying to make a simple web client that is able to log into talk.google.com.

I was able to authenticate through a local Jiver server just fine, but logging into google comes back with an error 405, which seems to have something to do with the authentication method. I believe google requires TLS, but it’'s looking as though smack only supports plain text and SSL… is this the case?

Is it possible to connect to talk.google.com using Smack?

Scott,

Welcome to the Smack forums! As you’‘ve found, a few tweaks need to be made to Smack before it can connect to talk.google.com. We’‘re going to see if we can get those done over the next couple of days and get a new version released. In the meantime, you may wish to start coding your application by talking to another server such as Jive Messenger. You shouldn’'t need any code changes other than the server to connect to once we officially release Google Talk support.

Regards,

-Matt

Thanks a lot. It’‘s great to know that it’'s being looked into.

I appreciate the quick response.

We’'ll be sure to post progress throughtout the day on how the integration effort is going. We definitely want Smack to be the easiest and best way to connect to Google Talk through Java.

-Matt

yea ran into this also, problem is its not connecting with tls or something

i hope you guys have a fix soon! im checking out other libraries :stuck_out_tongue: god forbid id use perl

can I use Smack API on MIDP 2.0 devices to implement a MIDLET Jabber Client ?

can I use Smack API on MIDP 2.0 devices to implement

a MIDLET Jabber Client ?

This wouldn’'t work without some modifications to the API. Smack is targeted at the standard edition of Java and not micro edition/MIDP.

Regards,

Matt

yea ran into this also, problem is its not connecting

with tls or something

i hope you guys have a fix soon! im checking out

other libraries :stuck_out_tongue: god forbid id use perl

I think Gato is very close to being done with the changes. You wouldn’'t want to use any other libraries now… would you?

Ok, I suppose it’'s possible to make a gateway that translates XMPP events to a MIDLET.

Can I use Smack for this ?

Thanks.

alright chaps! how’‘s that google talk fix coming along? I’‘ve messed around with Muse too and had no luck connecting. I’'m impressed that you are already on the case - are there many changes needed?

alright chaps! how’'s that google talk fix coming

along? I’'ve messed around with Muse too and had no

luck connecting. I’'m impressed that you are already

on the case - are there many changes needed?

Very close to having it done! TLS and SASL are implemented but just need a bit more testing. We’'ll continue to post progress.

-Matt

Thanks Matt… sounds great.

I’'m really impressed with the software you guys have cooked up. I tried setting up a jabberd server a few years ago, and although I did end up with a working server in the end, I walked away not just frusterated with jabberd, but completely turned off of jabber in general. If not for google using it, I probably never would have looked at the technology again.

All of your stuff has truely been a pleasure to use though, and the price certainly can’‘t be beat I’'m hoping I can find a way to work it into future projects.

Anyway, keep it up. I’'m looking forward to the next Smack release.

I also look forward to TLS capabilities that are compatible with google talk. Thanks for your efforts.

Eric

Ok… I know Im supposed to wait, but its been 3 hours. any updates on google talk?

Hey guys,

We are about to release Smack 2.0.0 with the TLS and SASL improvements. I tested the changes and Smack is able to connect to GoogleTalk using TLS and SASL. I was also able to connect to jabber.org using TLS and Non-SASL authentication. All the changes have been checked in and we are going to release the new Smack version tomorrow. If you are too anxious and cannot wait until the official release is out then you can download and use the next nightly build.

Regards,

– Gato

Excellent news. Can you please add some sample code around the new stuff. Waiting eagerly for the release to show up.

Hey otherbiz,

Smack 2.0.0 is out. New features affect the way Smack connects and authenticates with the server. Therefore, they should be transparent to you. We also provide a GoogleTalkConnection that is a convenience class to make it easier to connect to GoogleTalk. Follow this link to read more about url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/smack/smack_gtalk.jspGoogleTalk connection[/url].

Enjoy,

– Gato

Gato!

You are a genius! Thanks for the quick turn around. My simple program is working. The only mistake i made was using my full email address as the login, whereas i should not have appended the @gmail.com for the username. Looking forward to exploring more features.

Thanks

Scott,

Why don’'t you award some points to Gato and Matt for all their hard work in such a short period of time.

Cheers,

Ryan

moved here: http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=15615

Message was edited by:

oksteev