Quick creation of contacts lists

Is there some way in which a master contact list can be created and passed on to all the user accounts? I want everybody with an account on our Jive server to have everybody else on their contact list without having to get the users to add everyone themselves (for some of our users the concept of ‘‘left-click’’ is getting too complex - ‘‘add-a-contact’’ will give them nightmares for years). For obvious reasons I don’'t really want to have to log into each user account and create the contact list for them. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

We have a feature request in the issue tracker that I think should solve what you’'re looking for: JM-22. Feel free to add comments to that issue entry if you have additional ideas.

Regards,

Matt

Until that request (which by popular demand seems very promising) goes through. Is there a way one can manipulate the database to replicate one’‘s contact’'s list? Per say I want to have all users have my same contacts.

Thank you sirs for all your hard creative work!

zgambitx,

Manipulating the database directly to do what you’'re looking for is a pretty straight forward process; I had to do something similar when I wrote the conversion program to move our users from another XMPP server to Messenger. If people are interested I could post some Java code that could be used. Let me know.

Thanks,

Ryan

I couldn’‘t resist, so here’'s a little program that should work, just be sure to read the comments at the top very carefully.

There was a fairly significant bug in the code I posted so I removed it. For an updated version of the utility see my post on Dec 9, 2004 in this thread.

ryang,

Thanks for your contribution, however I am still somewhat new to all of this and if you could provide instructions on how to do these it would be greatly appreciated!

I am not sure where to begin except for the part about having messenger off

Ryan,

Thanks for the post! I’‘ve now given you attachment permissions in case you’'d like to post your code that way.

Regards,

Matt

Hi zgambitx,

How familiar are you with compiling and running Java applications? What database are you using? Are you familiar with working directly with databases using SQL?

The code I posted isn’'t very warm and fuzzy, so using it requires you to get your hands a little dirty. Let me know where you stand and I can try to get you up and running.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks for the post! I’'ve now given you attachment

permissions in case you’'d like to post your code that

way.

Thanks, Matt!

ryang,

I’'m afraid that I have no knowledge of compiling or running java apps. Basically Jive messenger is very straight-forward and easy to pop in and run, I had to run through some docs to get JDK 1.5 installed and the java mysql driver as well. As far as what db i am using, I am running Mysql 3.23.49 and I can probably mess around with a test sql database to try things with.

Thanks again,

Ryan,

If you’'re interested in making this a bit easier to use, you could have it run in-process with Jive Messenger itself – that way you could get database connections from Messenger directly.

You might even be able to implement it using the Messenger API’‘s… would just have to check to see if they are flexible enough to handle what you’'re trying to do (most likely yes).

Regards,

-Matt

Hi zgambitx,

Now that I know where you’‘re coming from (and with Matt’‘s suggestions, thanks again, Matt ) I can come up with a solution to better help you. Unfortunately, after today I won’‘t be able to work on this until the week after next (11/29), so I might not be able to get anything to you for a couple of weeks, I’'m sorry about that.

Thanks,

Ryan

PS - I’‘ll work on a solution, even if the time frame doesn’'t work for zgambitx, with an eye towards url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/issues/browse/JM-22SM-22[/url].

Ryang,

Thanks a lot. Actually at the company where I implementing Jive Messenger we’'re testing all its capabilities with a selected group of people (10 or so) instead of the whole company of 70 users, I am not into rushing anything just yet. Just making sure everything will be working close to perfect before I release this to the whole floor. 11/29 would be perfect.

Thank you sir.

For those who like a bit of a lower tech (simpler?) solution, I came across the following option using the PSI jabber client.

Built into PSI is an option called “XML console”. If you open and enable this, it will show the XML messages being sent back and forth from the server. By adding one contact while the console is enabled, you can find the XML code used to add a contact. Note that the text in red is what is sent to the server, and the text in yellow is the server’'s reply.

Once you have the exact instructions that were sent to the server, you can copy and paste them into a text document and build a list of instructions to create the entire contact list.

To import the contact list to each user, they would have to open the XML console, click on “XML Input…” and paste the complete list of instructions in. Clicking transmit will fire list off to the server, and presto, you have a complete contact list.

A similar process will also have to be followed to grant authorization to each user.

Hope that helps!

Rick

Thank you very much for this PSI tidbit! I’'m not much of a programmer, so being able to see the XML and do batch processing without having to write a ton of code is a godsend.

Hi zgambitx,

After being gone all last week I came back to a pile of work so I haven’‘t been able to work on a solution to your request. Looking through the posts, url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=13620this[/url] one in particular, of the last couple of weeks it looks like the Jive team maybe implementing a solution for the 2.1 release. Matt, is this the case? I don’'t want to duplicate any work that is already being done.

Thanks,

Ryan

it looks like the Jive team

maybe implementing a solution for the 2.1 release.

Matt, is this the case? I don’'t want to duplicate any

work that is already being done.

Yeah, we’'re going to do our best to get shared roster support into the 1.1 release.

-Matt

Yeah, we’'re going to do our best to get shared roster

support into the 1.1 release.

-Matt

Good to know.

Thanks,

Ryan

Yeah, we’'re going to do our best to get shared roster

support into the 1.1 release.

Of course, I meant 2.1 release.

-matt

Of course, I meant 2.1 release.