Spark 2.5.0 Beta 3 Released

We are happy to announce the release of Spark 2.5.0 Beta 3. We are still on target for the final release at the end of the month, so keep the feedback coming. You can get the download from our beta page at http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/beta.jsp.

Changelog

New Features

• Added drag and drop contacts into conference rooms to invite.
    • Added IRC-Style Shortcuts

Bug Fixes

• Fixed Apple-W to close a chat tab/window.
    • Fixed problem with usernames with characters like \ / : * ? " < > | in their name.
    • Fixed auto away issue on linux.
    • Fix issue with links in send area.
    • Fixed issue with spaces in gateway contact names.
    • Fixed double messages with broadcasts.
    • Fixed issue with losing conference invitations after Spark reconnects.
    • Fixed reconnect issue with idle.
    • Timestamps are no correct when running on Vista.
    • Users can now send screen shots when running Spark on Vista
    • Fixed file transfer on Vista
    • Fixed gateway presence change when user is disconnected causes Spark crash.
    • Fixed Ctrl+F issue on OSX.
    • Turned off DTD validation in EmoticonManager.
    • Fixed grin emoticon not showing issue.
    • Fixed multiple presences being sent issue on VCard change.
    • No longer put users in invalid conference room.
    • Spark now alert users when there is no program associated with a file a user is trying to open after File Transfer.
    • Linux build is no longer corrupted.
    • Spark no longer validates DTD for Emoticons.plist.
    • MSI files now contain the Spark.exe file.
    • Added a universal binary of the JavaApplicationStub for Spark.
    • Fastpath auto-logs in after disconnect.
    • Improved error message on login failure.
    • HTTPS Proxy is now working.
    • Notifications can now be disabled.
    • Roster window shows nickname option if specified in Profile.
    • Clearing avatar takes immediate effect.
    • Chat History now shows appropriate nicknames when possible.
    • Starting new conversations no longer fails to bring the message window to the front
    • Fixed notification issue with tray popups and bring to front.

Cheers,

Derek

Good work! This is shaping up to be a killer release

One little issue regarding SPARK-314, while closing the chat window works as expected (ya!), apple-w does not close the ‘‘main’’ spark UI i.e. the one with the contact list.

Also avatars are not always showing up when you mouse over them, but do show up in the conversation window when i start a conversation with the contact.

I was going to turn on cmd-w for the contact list as well, but if you try closing it manually, you’‘ll see that it behaves in somewhat unintuitive ways. I want to figure out what’'s going on with that before I make it easier to close

Ah, yes so it does. I think it has done that for a while now, I must have gotten used to it

Also all the links in Derek’'s first post are broken, the issue links all go to http://www.igniterealtime.com/forum/SPARK-XXX

Hi Derek,

a double click opens a chat window - that’‘s fine. But it does open also the small vcard which stays then open - and if I move the mouse fast enough up or down over another buddy then it’'s vCard will be displayed.

The GTalk “\m/” emotion is broken.

I can enable the phone plugin even if I did not configure it.

German translations is not complete.

Is there a way to use a more simple or classic style with less colors and small icons?

LG

The add conference button (between add buddy and show downloads) opens the conferences window for server “null” and not for the connected server - it looks upgy and clicking on an item locks Spark for a minute.

Use this privacy list to reproduce this:

<iq from="yourname@jivesoftware.com/spark" type="set" id="id1">
  <query xmlns="jabber:iq:privacy">
    <list name="blocker">
          <item action="allow" order="1" type="jid" value="conference.jivesoftware.com">
               <iq></iq>
          </item>
      <item action="deny" order="2">
        <iq></iq>
        <presence-out></presence-out>
      </item>
    </list>
  </query>
</iq>
<iq from=''yourname@jivesoftware.com/spark'' type=''set'' id=''id2''>
  <query xmlns=''jabber:iq:privacy''>
    <default name=''blocker''></default>
  </query>
</iq>

The login takes very long, MSN, ICQ, … symbols will not be displayed.

LG

SPARK-376 is not fixed, I see no chat history of user ? and the error_log contains:

17.02.2007 00:13:06 org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error
SCHWERWIEGEND:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\lg\Spark\user\lg@jivesoftware.com\transcripts\?@jivesoftware.com_current.xml (Die Syntax f³r den Dateinamen, Verzeichnisnamen oder die Datentrõgerbezeichnung ist falsch)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:131)
        at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.transcripts.ChatTranscripts.writeToFile(ChatTranscripts.java:105)
        at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.transcripts.ChatTranscripts.appendToTranscript(ChatTranscripts.java:74)

LG

The error.log contains a lot of these entries:

Timeout getting VCard information: request-timeout(408) Timeout getting VCard information
        at org.jivesoftware.smackx.packet.VCard.doLoad(VCard.java:526)
        at org.jivesoftware.smackx.packet.VCard.load(VCard.java:511)
        at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.profile.VCardManager.getVCard(VCardManager.java:319)
        at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.profile.VCardManager.getVCard(VCardManager.java:286)
        at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.chat.ChatInfoPlugin$2.construct(ChatInfoPlugin.java:88)
        at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

This seems to be caused by my privacy list - but requesting a vCard more than once seems to make little sense.

If I click 3x on a vCard of such a buddy Spark seems to try to display the vCard three times and dispays three times an error.

The buddy itself will try only one time to fetch my vCard, so he needs to restart Spark if I grant him access to my vCard.

One can still enter a lot of information in the vCard but only 10% will be displayed in the new vCards.

LG

It seems that running Spark two times on the same computer can lock one instance. Removed stacktrace but left the info here.

LG

The input window is limited to display some lines (10-30). If I copy and paste there 100 lines no scroll bar is displayed and it seems that the past did fail.

LG

Regarding the new feature - SPARK-452 - Added IRC-Style Shortcuts:

What shortcuts are supported?

/me is working (Hooray!)

/away isn’'t - before I try everything - is there a list somewhere?

Thanks so much!

Marco

I’'m testing the linux client on Fedora Core 6. Authentication seems to complete successfully, but as soon as it tries to load the main window, I get the following error and the client crashes:

Error: Couldn’'t find per display information

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Hi Marco,

Section 17.2.1 of XEP-0045 is the place to look at. One could start now a discussion about this lousy XEP …

LG

Great. I see some of my reports have maded to this release But i still have more to bug you

And now i undestand how the date stamp works. It doesnt group messages of the same day. It shows the start of new conversation. Someone should explain me that before

Looks like one problem is still here. I think it is related to DTD. I cant start chat with some of my contacts. If i’‘m able to open chat window with someone, so there is no Emote toolbar etc. And it’'s not showing my messages, just adding my nickname in one line. Also Appearance menu in Preferences is not working.

Spark MSI Online install. And i had to uninstall previous version, wount let to upgrade.

It seems like fixed for Contact History but not fixed for main chat window.

Look at screenshot: http://glory1.at.tut.by/images/spark-unicode.png

Spark version 2.5.0 beta 3.

I have the same problem “Error: Couldn’'t find per display information” on Redhat Enterprise Linux 4.4 on version 2.0.8 and 2.5.0beta3. It displays the login window correctly, authenticates, pops up a window and then immediately exits with the above Xt error.

Message was edited by: rminsk

I’'ve downloaded and tested it. It is awesome. Very nice.

Well, it’'s still beta, and it has a long way to go before the release. So, I have one suggestion. It is an additional function for message history.

“Message History Search Capability”

Please see this thread:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=25020&tstart=0

Message was edited by: isiahjericho

Do we have any ETA on when the final of 2.5.0 will be released? I’'m very interested in getting SSO into my setup and seem to remember reading a “late January” date being thrown about.