powered by Jive Software

User Avatar and LDAP / AD Issues

We were running Openfire 3.8.2 32-bit version for many years. We recently upgraded to 4.2.1 64-bit, and it’s running great. The problem we’re having is we can’t get the avatars to load from Active Directory. Everyone’s pictures are working in Outlook fine, but they won’t show up in Spark. I ensured that
ldap.override.avatar = true and
provider.vcard.className = org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapVCardProvider
is set appropriately. I’ve scoured the community forums reading all sorts of stuff, and I can’t seem to figure this out. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me pull the pictures from AD rather than having to upload each of them manually again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

if your photos are stored in AD, than this value should be false. by setting it to true, you are telling openfire to look for the photos in the database used by openfire.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I made this change, and still no luck. I’ve rebooted my server a few times, and verified that the cache is clear, but still no pictures are showing up. Do you know what value in the AD database Openfire looks for these pictures? We are storing our pictures in ThumbnailPhoto. Also, this setting in Openfire is set. is this correct?
provider.vcard.className org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapVCardProvider

Thanks again for your help!

look at your vcard mapping property ldap.vcard-mapping
and change {jpegPhoto} to {thumbnailPhoto}

Funny, there is no mention of that in there. Here’s the entire output.

<![CDATA[ {cn} {mail} {displayName} {homePostalAddress} {homeZip} {co} {streetAddress} {l} {st} {postalCode} {co} {homePhone} {mobile} {telephoneNumber} {mobile} {facsimileTelephoneNumber} {pager} {title} {department} ]]>

Also, I read this article about the setting of system property ldap.override.avatar and set it to true.

You can probably see why I’m confused.

it should look more like this :

<![CDATA[<vCard xmlns="vcard-temp"><N><FAMILY>{sn}</FAMILY><GIVEN>{givenName}</GIVEN></N><EMAIL><INTERNET/><USERID>{mail}</USERID></EMAIL><FN>{displayName}</FN><NICKNAME>{displayName}</NICKNAME><PHOTO><TYPE>image/jpeg</TYPE><BINVAL>{thumbnailPhoto}</BINVAL></PHOTO><ADR><HOME/><STREET>{homePostalAddress}</STREET></ADR><ADR><WORK/><STREET>{streetAddress}</STREET><LOCALITY>{l}</LOCALITY><REGION>{st}</REGION><PCODE>{postalCode}</PCODE><CTRY>{c}</CTRY></ADR><TEL><HOME/><VOICE/><NUMBER>{homePhone}</NUMBER></TEL><TEL><WORK/><VOICE/><NUMBER>{telephoneNumber}</NUMBER></TEL><TEL><WORK/><CELL/><NUMBER>{mobile}</NUMBER></TEL><TEL><WORK/><PAGER/><NUMBER>{pager}</NUMBER></TEL><TEL><WORK/><FAX/><NUMBER>{facsimileTelephoneNumber}</NUMBER></TEL><TITLE>{title}</TITLE><URL>{wWWHomePage}</URL><ORG><ORGNAME>{company}</ORGNAME><ORGUNIT>{department}</ORGUNIT></ORG></vCard>]]>

I added

image/jpeg

{thumbnailPhoto}

And BOOM, they started showing up! You guys are awesome. Thank you!